Bob talks about the comparison of core leadership skills and those that are needed in the realm of project management.
In an post for PM Times, Timothy Barry lists his take on the top ten qualities of a project manager. These are
- Inspiring a shared vision
- A good communicator
- Ability to delegate
- Being cool under pressure
- Team building Skills
- Problem solving skills
Bob's Take on the Project Management List
- It is not so much inspiring the shared vision as supporting it. In the project management role, you re rarely creating the vision as much as you are implementing it.
- Communications may be at the top of the list. Look for a future episode just on this.
- Competence is super important. This is why the PMP designation is so sought after.
- It is good to see that the universal leadership number one trait of empathy makes this list.
- Problem solving skills in the role of the project manager seems to deserve a spot higher than tenth.
Timothy Barry's article is here.